Retirement of Dan & Joyce
Andrews in 1988
(They were the
owners of Ringwood Road, Butchers.)
In 1986 Bill
Andrews and his wife Audrey retired from active participation
in the Manor
Road butchers (now managed by
their son "young Billy" and daughter Janet).
In August 1988, also for health
reasons, Dan and Joyce Andrews (shown
in photographs), whose premises were in Ringwood
Road, (where the Indian Palace restaurant is now in 2005)
retired and sold his premises. They decided to leave Verwood
for somewhere nearer the coast.
In 1941, during World War II,
Joyce as a schoolgirl was evacuated from Biggin Hill, Kent,
to Christchurch where she met Dan Andrews and his brother
Bill. On leaving school she trained as a chemist, but then
married Dan. When Dan's brother Bill bought the butchers
shop in Ringwood Road, Verwood, from a Mr. Legg (a lay
preacher who at weekends used to plaster his shop window
with religious texts) Dan and Joyce moved here to manage it.
Help being needed in the shop, Joyce abandoned her early
dreams of being "just a housewife". She learned
the butcher's trade and worked alongside Dan.
Two years later, Dan bought the
Ringwood business from his brother Bill, who then left
Christchurch to move into the newly-built house and
butcher's shop in Manor Road, Verwood, where he set up his
separate business which continues to this day (2005).
At the rear of the shop which
fronts onto Ringwood Road,
there was a lovely old thatched cottage where they used to
live, before it was demolished to make room for the
bungalows in St Stephen's Road.
When Dan and Joyce came to
Verwood in 1956 it was a small village, almost
self-sufficient, with Barrow's Bakehouse and General Store
(now the Video Shop!), the Bon Marche (On the parade),
Library and Restynge House at the crossroads, a fish shop
and Hopkins Newsagents (then kept by Miss Hopkins).
Verwood then also had its own
policeman, living in the Police House on Ringwood Road, who
could solve most of the tricky problems brought to him by
Verwoodians. There was a train service to Poole and
Salisbury, a bus service to Ringwood/Bournemouth every two
hours up till midnight and a local doctor, district nurse
and midwife. What Verwood lacked was made-up roads, but
there was little traffic, even on the Ringwood Road where
daughters, Jane and Hazel, could happily play outside the
shop, and where, in Mr. Legg's day, his old black labrador
could sleep in the middle of the road while the occasional
car or bus would steer round it
There was no main gas and Dan
and Joyce well remember the overhead electric cables which,
at the first sign of a thunderstorm became
"alight" .glowing in the night sky.
Brought up as children in strict
but differing religious disciplines, Joyce and Dan have an
honourable record in local voluntary service - Dan was a
committee member, secretary and for 13 years chairman, of
the Verwood Royal British Legion while Joyce was, for five
years vice- chairman of the Carnival committee and cherishes
the thought that she has never knowingly refused help to
anyone who sought it.
In 1984, when the Safeway store
came to Verwood, Dan extended his country deliveries to be a
full mobile butcher’s service to Cranborne, Alderholt and
surrounding places. His daughter Hazel who (like her mother)
had been roped in to learn the trade and help in the shop,
now continues this mobile service on behalf of young Billy’s
Manor Road business.