Verwood 1985 BBC Domesday Project. - Hillside School.
Communications in Verwood.
The POST OFFICE is open
on four days a week from to and
on two days from to Seven
people serve behind the counters. They sell stamps. TV and
Dog licences, car tax postal orders etc. and run the PO
There are 10 postmen and women, 8 deliver on
bicycles and 2 in vans, delivering heavy and large parcels.
Postmen in vans empty the village post boxes four times a
day. The mail is taken to Wimborne and then to Bournemouth,
where it is sorted. It is then sent either to other large
sorting offices including London, or if it is addressed to
Verwood, it is sent back via Wimborne. There is a SORTING
OFFICE IN VERWOOD. Each person receives on average five
letters per person, per week. 666 people go into the Post
The TELEPHONE EXCHANGE is in Vicarage Road.
Education in Verwood.
There are three PLAY GROUPS in Verwood. two are run
privately and one is run by a committee. They help children
to get on with each other, and the mother's to make friends.
There are usually two supervisors and several mothers in
charge of about twenty children. The children do jigsaws,
use Play Dough or pastry, paint, use sand and water, climb,
learn to hold pencils and to use scissors. The cost for each
child per morning is approx £1.
There are two FIRST
SCHOOLS for children aged 5 to 9 years. One is Hillsidewith
330 children on the roll and ten teachers, the other is the
C. of E. with 90 children on the roll and four
Children from 9 to 13 years travel to Cranborne or
Ferndown MIDDLE SCHOOLS.
The l4 to 18 year
olds travel to Ferndown or WimborneUPPERSCHOOLS.
Religion in Verwood.
Chapel & Roman Catholics.
The original part of the ANGLICAN CHURCH, St.
Michael and all Angels was built in 1829. The building holds
300 people. There is a Deaconess and a Curate who help the
Vicar. The first graveyard is near this church, and was also
used by non-conformists.
built in 1909 with bricks made in Verwood, the minister
cares for several churches in the area.
The first CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH (now the U.R.C.)
was built in 1802, a second building replaced it in 1878 and
was also used as a school, so the need arose for a third
building which was opened in 1906. The minister is shared
with neighbouring villages, with deacons assisting.
The BETHEL CHAPEL was opened in 1931 after years of
worshipping in a hut at Hayward’s Farm. ROMAN CATHOLICS
worship in Ringwood and West Moors.
DISCLAIMER: While every effort has been made to ensure the
accuracy of the data on all 'Verwood.org' sites the owner cannot
accept responsibility for any mistakes which may occur. Data
provided 'as is' without warranty and subject to error and change
Your use of this website indicates acceptance of this..
Please contact the '
' with updates, suggestions and ideas for improvement, including
mistakes found and any other concerns you may have.